Student Health Insurance Information & Forms

The University of Alabama has renewed the “Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan” with United Healthcare Student Resources (UHCSR) for another plan year that covers August 2013-July 2014. Eligible UA students can enroll in that voluntary health plan on a semester-to-semester basis, or they can enroll for an entire plan year as explained below.

Enrollment starts 7/15/2013 and ends 8/30/2013 for UHCSR’s Voluntary Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan for coverage effective in August 2013 

UnitedHealthcare Student Resources (UHCSR) is the underwriter for two voluntary student injury and sickness insurance policies offered to the following types of UA students who enroll on time and elect coverage to begin in August 2013.

UA’s Voluntary Student Health Plan for 2013-2014 is for the following students:

1.  Domestic undergraduate and domestic graduate students (non GAs)

a)    Policy #2013-328-1 is offered to domestic undergraduates enrolled in at least six (6) credit hours per semester on UA’s campus and to domestic graduate students (not GAs) who are enrolled in at least three (3) credit hours per semester on UA’s campus.

b)    Domestic undergraduates and domestic graduate students can enroll directly with UHCSR at for Fall 2013 semester coverage from 8/16/2013-12/31/2013, or they can enroll in annual coverage from 8/16/2013-8/15/2014, or they can wait until December 1, 2013, to enroll for the Spring 2014 coverage that runs from 1/1/2014-5/31/2014 if they are still a UA student. In May 2014, these same UA students can enroll in the Summer 2014 coverage that runs from 6/1/2014-8/15/2014.

c)   Domestic undergraduate and domestic graduate students must also pay 100% of the required premiums in advance directly to UHCSR with a credit card for coverage to begin by 8/16/2013 or they can complete the “2013-2014 Voluntary Enrollment Form for Domestic Students and their Dependents.”  Domestic undergraduate and domestic graduate students may also download and print the enrollment form, which is provided below, and mail into UHCSR with the required premium payment before 8/16/2013 or before 12/16/2013 for Spring 2014 coverage or before 5/16/2014 for the Summer 2014 coverage..

2013-2014 Voluntary Enrollment Form for Domestic Students and their Dependents

Note: Insurance coverage with UHCSR only begins when the completed enrollment form and 100% of the required premium payment is received by UHCSR—not when the enrollment form and payment are mailed to UHCSR.

2.  Sponsored Graduate Assistantships (GAs, GTAs, GRAs, or Fellowships), International Students, and English Language Students:

Policy #2013-328-4 is offered to the following GA students, who are enrolled in at least three (3) credit hours per semester on UA’s campus.

a)    Eligible Graduate Assistants, who are sponsored and receive an approved Graduate Assistantship from UA, by their Home Department in July or August of 2013 are eligible for single health insurance with a full or a partial subsidy paid by The University of Alabama to United Healthcare Student Resources, AND the UA student MUST complete the “2013-2014 Graduate Assistant Enrollment Form” (download and print form) and submit that completed and signed form directly to the Student Health Center prior to 8/31/2013 for their Fall 2013 coverage to begin 8/1/2013 and continue through 1/31/2014 (6 months of coverage). A second 6 month coverage for graduate assistants for  Spring 2014 runs from 2/1/2014 – 7/31/2014. Enrollment for the Spring of 2014 will be from 1/1/2014-1/31/2014. Registration by GAs, GTAs, GRAs, and Fellowships for the subsidized student health insurance cannot be accepted after 8/30/2013 for Fall 2013 coverage or after 1/31/2014 for Spring 2014 coverage.

Note: If you are unsure of whether or not your graduate assistantship or fellowship is eligible, please contact your supervisor or the department administering your assistantship or fellowship.

Enrollment in UA’s Graduate Assistantship student insurance coverage with UnitedHealth Student Resources is voluntary. Some GAs, GTAs, GRAs, GREs and PhDs may be eligible to stay on their parents’ health insurance plan until age 26 as allowed by the new healthcare reform law. Check all your health insurance options before enrolling in UA’s student health plan.

2013-2014 Graduate Assistant Enrollment Form
2013-2014 Enrollment Form for Dependents of Graduate Assistants

b)    International UA students will be automatically enrolled by UA in UHCSR’s policy 2013-328-4 as explained below unless they get a waiver. Waivers can be granted only by UA after written proof of current comparable health insurance is provided to The University of Alabama.

Spring 2014 Waiver Form for International Students

If the international student already has current comparable health insurance coverage, then the student must secure a “Certificate of Creditable Coverage” from that other health insurance company and provide that certificate to The University of Alabama Student Insurance Office located on campus at the Student Health Center in Tuscaloosa, Alabama before 8/31/2013. You can also call that office at 205-348-4086 Monday through Friday.

c)    English Language Institute (ELI) students at UA who are enrolled at UA’s campus must contact the English Language Institute on campus via email at or call (205) 348-7413 before 8/31/2013 about their student health insurance requirements, costs, and deadlines.

Both of the voluntary UHCSR student injury and sickness insurance policies 2013-328-1 and 2013-328-4 will provide $500,000 in coverage per insured person for the August 2013-July 2014 plan year, and these UHCSR student injury and sickness insurance policies comply with all aspects of the health care reform law as it pertains to student health insurance plans.


Other Student Health Insurance Forms/Handouts

NOTE: Only UA students enrolled in UA’s student health plan with United HealthCare Student Resources (UHCSR) in the summer of 2013, or who were enrolled with UHCSR in the spring of 2013 and then lose that coverage, are eligible to enroll for extended continuation coverage with UHCSR for an additional 1 to 6 months if additional health coverage premiums are paid.

In addition, UA students who are enrolled in the UHCSR injury and sickness insurance plan, DO NOT need a referral from the SHC for outside medical care under the following conditions:

  • When the outside medical care is for a medical emergency
  • When UA’s Student Health Center is closed
  • When the medical service is rendered at another facility during fall or spring break, during holidays or during UA vacation periods
  • When medical care is received by the student more than 50 miles away from UA’s campus, located in Tuscaloosa
  • When the student is no longer a UA student due to change in status (such as graduation)
  • Psychotherapy does not require a referral from UA’s Student Health Center.

However, if you do receive medical care from a medical provider outside the SHC without a referral for any other reason than those listed above then UnitedHealthcare Student Resources (UHCSR) can pay the outside medical provider at 60% of the out-of-network (OON) level.

Looking for other Student Health Center forms? Click here.